Villagers kill 41 B’Haram members
A vigilante group made up of residents of Kalabalge, a town in the north of Borno State, on Wednesday mounted a fierce resistance to a siege by members of Boko Haram, inflicting severe casualties on militants from the fringe Islamist sect.
“We killed many of them (Boko Haram members) today (Wednesday),” one of the residents of the town who took part in the battle told a correspondent of SaharaReporters.
However, local officials who spoke to Al Jazeera said 41 insurgents were killed by the villagers
Several other residents disclosed that the members of the community had received advance information that Boko Haram’s death squads were on their way to wreak havoc in the community. “Once we got the information, we gathered many of our young men and positioned ourselves in surrounding bushes and forests. We were armed with bows and arrows, Dane guns and pump action rifles,” said one source.
The sources added that some 400 Boko Haram militants wearing army uniforms arrived in Kalabalge around 5 a.m. in two armoured tanks, eight Hilux pick-up vehicles, and seven sports utility vehicles (SUVS), all painted in Nigerian army colours according to eyewitnesses. Add a comment
Breaking: Oguche Nyanya Bombing MasterMind Arrested In Sudan To Be Flown To Nigeria
The mastermind of the Nyanya bomb blast in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, has been arrested in Sudan. He will be flown into Nigeria this week.
It will be recalled that the April 14 bomb blast in Nyanya of which he is reported to have masterminded, resulted in the death of a 100 people at the busy Nyanya bus station in Abuja.
More details to come...Add a comment
Nyanya Blast: FG Places Wanted Suspects on Interpol Red Alert
The federal government has placed terror fugitive, Aminu Sadiq Ogwuche, who was declared wanted in connection with the April 14 Nyayan bus station bombing on Interpol red alert.
This was announced by the Force Public Relations Officer, CSP Frank Mba, at the national briefing centre on security yesterday in Abuja.
This came as the Director of Defence Information, Major General Chris Olukolade, disclosed that foreign allies were yet to carry out any security surveillance, adding that it was inappropriate to discuss technical details of the rescue efforts.
“We will let you know when actual surveillance starts, I still see that within the realm of speculation. But we are not supposed to disclose details of operations with our allies,” Olukolade said.
Mba explained that the Interpol red alert represented an international warrant of arrest to the 190 member countries and consequent extradition of anyone placed on the red alert to the issuing country. Add a comment
A new video released by Islamist militants Boko Haram claims to show around 100 girls kidnapped from the Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State on April 14, 2014. Add a comment
Boko Haram: US ignored Nigeria’s 2013 request—Report
THE United States of America ignored requests by Nigeria for intelligence information and aid to help fight the militant Islamist terrorist group Boko Haram last year, reports have revealed..
Two American newspapers, ABC News and the Daily Beast, weekend, accused the Obama administration of failing to reply to requests by lobbying firm Patton Boggs on behalf of the Nigerian government.
Last weekend, US Senator John McCain told CNN, “We should have utilized every asset that we have, satellite, drones, any capabilities that we had to go after them. We didn’t have to wait until a practically non-existent government of Nigeria gave us the go-ahead before mounting a humanitarian effort to rescue those 276 abducted girls.”
But the ABC and the Daily Beast noted that the “revelation comes as many in the administration have blamed the Nigerian government for their rationale behind why the United States government was tardy in designating Boko Haram a Foreign Terrorist Organization.” Add a comment
INEC: Why We Dumped Electronic Voting for 2015 General Elections
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has given reason why voting in the 2015 general elections in the country would not be conducted through the use of electronic voting machines.
According to the nation’s electoral umpire, the National Assembly has not given the green light for INEC to introduce electronic voting machines in the conduct of the 2015 elections.
The Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), Akwa Ibom State, Dr. Gabriel Ada, dropped the hint while briefing election stakeholders at the state and LGA levels ahead of the May 23 to 25, and May 28 to June 1 distribution of Permanent Voters Cards (PVCs) and the Continuous Voters Registration (CVR) respectively in the state.
Enumerating the advantages of the PVC, Ada explained that with the card reader device, the PVC would check various forms of fraud, including multiple thumb printing and snatching of materials, and keep the record of the actually number of voters at a particular unit. Add a comment