'Ebola: Kogi Government Warns Against Kissing
THE Abia State government has denied a media report (not Nigerian Tribune) of purported Ebola virus and death of victim of the virus in Isiala Ngwa South Local Government Area of the state.
The state government described the media report as lies and handiwork of mischief makers.
“It is unfortunate that at a time the nation is promoting the use of valid data, research and statistics to tackle challenges especially those that are health related, custodians of news are trading in lies and non verifiable stories,” the government said in a press release signed by the Chief of Staff to the governor, Cosmos Ndukwe.
The release stated further: “No case of Ebola could be verified either in Isiala Ngwa or any other location in Abia State. The story of a woman whose identity cannot be ascertained that died of suspected Ebola virus at Ndiolumbe in Isiala Ngawa is possibly the figment of the imagination of those who are peddling the rumour.
“Again, it is sad that these mischief makers could claim that the state commissioner for health could not be reached for comments. This is absurd, wicked and unfair. The state commissioner for health and indeed his colleagues have been working round the clock as part of the state’s commitment to checkmating the deadly disease from entering the state.
Oyo institutes 24-hour surveillance
THE Oyo State Commissioner for Health, Dr Muyiwa Gbadegesin, has said that the state government had instituted 24-hour monitoring and tracking of suspected cases of Ebola disease in all the 33 local government areas of the state.
The commissioner disclosed this in a statement issued in Ibadan on Sunday. Add a comment
Nigerian in Hong Kong Tests Negative to Ebola Virus
The deadly Ebola epidemic continued to raise concerns across the world yesterday, as fear gripped the residents of a Hong Kong neighbourhood when they heard that a Nigerian who had just returned from one of the Ebola-stricken West African countries had diarrhoea and was vomiting.
The Nigerian man, who had arrived in the city on Thursday, was rushed to the hospital Saturday morning with vomiting and diarrhoea, which are the early symptoms of the virus. However, some relief came the way of the people of Hong Kong when the laboratory tests came back negative for Ebola yesterday.
Health experts such as University of Hong Kong microbiologist, Yuen Kwok-yung, said Hong Kong was unlikely to see an Ebola outbreak, even as he stressed the need for vigilance, given the city’s role as a transport hub and its proximity to Guangzhou, home to Asia’s biggest African community.
According to the South China Morning Post, the Nigerian man at the centre of Saturday’s scare was understood to have been staying at a guest house in Chungking Mansions, the complex of cheap restaurants, shops and hostels in Tsim Sha Tsui popular with African and South Asian visitors. Add a comment
I slaughtered Victims In 2 Minutes —Suspected Boko Haram Chief Butcher
A suspected Boko Haram chief butcher, who was arrested last month by the Nigerian Police, has said that it was always taking him two minutes to slaughter his victim.
The suspect, who gave his name as Zakari Mohammed hails from Kaigamari village, Daptchari in Darazo Local Government Area, Bauchi State.
The suspect made this known, on Wednesday, while being paraded by the Nigerian Police in Abuja, against the media report which alleged that the suspect had escaped from the police custody.
Thirty-year-old Mohammed stated that he had been a member of the terrorist group for two years in Daura, Bauchi State and that he worked with five other members.
He gave the other members name to include Hassan Garba and Mohammed, Isa, adding that since he started, he had killed five persons. Add a comment
U.S. Planes Searching for Boko Haram Abductees Spot Girls in Nigeria
Recent U.S. surveillance flights over northeastern Nigeria showed what appeared to be large groups of girls held together in remote locations, raising hopes among domestic and foreign officials that they are among the group that Boko Haram abducted from a boarding school in April, U.S. and Nigerian officials said.
The surveillance suggests that at least some of the 219 schoolgirls still held captive haven't been forced into marriage or sex slavery, as had been feared, but instead are being used as bargaining chips for the release of prisoners.
The U.S. aerial imagery matches what Nigerian officials say they hear from northern Nigerians who have interacted with the Islamist insurgency: that some of Boko Haram's most famous set of captives are getting special treatment, compared with the hundreds of other girls the group is suspected to have kidnapped. Boko Haram appears to have seen the schoolgirls as of higher value, given the global attention paid to their plight, those officials said.
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who faces re-election in February, is under political pressure to secure the girls' release, with some people urging him to agree to a prisoner swap.
His government has ruled out a rescue operation, saying it is unwilling to risk the girls' lives, or a prisoner swap.
It would also show that Boko Haram is trying to follow an al Qaeda tactic of swapping hostages for money and political gain.
The group is accelerating its kidnapping of foreigners and politicians: Over the past two months, it has been blamed for abducting a German expatriate, 10 Chinese laborers in nearby Cameroon and the wife of Cameroon's deputy prime minister.
Boko Haram has used hostages in the past to demand the exchange of its prisoners held in both Nigeria and Cameroon, which was one of the conditions for the release of a French family from captivity last year.
Now, the group appears to be testing the bargaining power of a group of girls who had been ordinary teenagers at a school—until their abduction on the night of April 14. That night, fighters with the Islamist insurgency—which is opposed to modern education— stormed a boarding school and drove 276 girls away hours before their final exams. Fifty-seven later escaped. Add a comment
Bitter Kola Cannot Cure Ebola— Health Minister
The Minister for Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, has said there is no scientific evidence of Garcinia kola, popularly known as bitter kola curing or preventing Ebola virus disease.
The research work that people are laying claims, to according to the minister is inconclusive.
It would be recalled that in 1999, a former Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and Professor of Pharmacognosy, Maurice Iwu, alongside some American researchers conducted a research that showed that extract from bitter cola tend to neutralize the effects of virus. But the outcome of that research work has not been scientifically confirmed to be true or not.
He said, “Information that is being circulated especially through the social media and the rest of the internet tend to suggest that because right now, there is no known vaccine for Ebola Virus Disease and there is no known specific drug as effective against EVD. If we don’t streamline a lot of these information, the unwary will become so vulnerable. People have said that they know that a fruit is sufficient to cure EVD.
“As I speak to you now, there is no proof yet of any such fruit. I repeat, there is no proof yet of any fruit.
“One that has been mentioned is that just keep chewing bitter kola and you will be alright. As the Minister of Health of the Federal Republic of Nigeria I say that right now, there is no scientific yet to suggest that if you just eat bitter kola you will get to prevent the disease or where you have it, it will help to cure it.
“However, we are aware that in 1999, Prof. Maurice Iwu worked along with an administration in United States of America and conducted research which at the level of the laboratory is what we call in-vitro research which means it is still in the test tube as it were and it is not in any living body which we call in-vivo.
“This shows that some extract they had obtained from the bitter kola which is common in West Africa and in Nigeria and which we use for so many purposes in Nigeria including social reasons tend to have some activities against the virus. But that research was not concluded and therefore as at today, there is no evidence to link that as a cure or preventive measure against Ebola Virus Disease.”Add a comment
BREAKING: Lagos doctor ‘contracts’ Ebola
One of the doctors in Lagos who attended to Liberian Patrick Sawyer – the man credited with bringing Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) to Nigeria – has contracted the virus. According to minister of health, Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu (pictured), who confirmed the report, two other people under quarantine have developed symptoms of the virus “but it is not certain yet if they have the disease”. T
he minister added that out of the 70 persons established to have had contact with the late Liberian, eight persons were now being quarantined. Chukwu also revealed that the federal government had constituted a team to find the cure for Ebola. A member of the team, he said, is professor of pharmacognosy and former chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Maurice Iwu. But he could not confirm reports that a corpse brought into the country from Liberia had the deadly virus. “Samples have been taken from the corpse and the result would be available today,” he said. Chukwu, who reiterated that efforts were being made to identify more secondary contacts, stressed no outbreak had been recorded yet outside Lagos.
He appealed to Nigerians to report any incident of the disease to the ministry for immediate action.
Add a comment
Boko Haram Crashes Real Estate Prices
Governor Kashim Shettima
The unrelenting violence perpetrated by the Boko Haram insurgents has taken its toll on the real estate sector in most states in northern Nigeria, where the prices of properties have significantly been crashed.
Prices of properties have drastically falling to an all time low, media investigations have revealed.
Besides crashing the prices of property, especially in the North-eastern states, public property worth billions of naira have gone down the drain through the destructive acts of the terrorist group.
Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno State told media recently that more than 900 schools had been reduced to rubble by the sect in his state. Add a comment